Paynters Avenue is named after the pioneer settler, William Paynter, who arrived in New Plymouth from Devonshire in 1841.
He owned and farmed land bounded by the current Paynters Avenue and the Waiwhakaiho River.
William Paynter was born in England in 1807, as was his wife, Sarah Branton, who was born there in 1811. They married in 1836. With their son, William, they sailed from Plymouth, England on the 477 ton barque Amelia Thompson in March 1841, and landed with 184 other passengers at Ngāmotu Beach on 3 September that year.
Their daughters, Mary Ann and Elizabeth, and a second son, John, were born in New Zealand. The family moved to Nelson in the early 1860s to escape the fighting in Taranaki between the Māori and the settlers, and bought property in Stoke. William died there in 1888 and Sarah died in 1894.
Their son, William, returned to New Plymouth, initially settling on Kent Rd before moving to Stratford in 1907.
This story was originally published in the Taranaki Daily News.