Fulford Street is named after Fulford Parish on the outskirts of the English city of York, where it is said the name translates to "muddy river crossing place".   Fulford Parish was inherited by R. Hippsley Tuckfield Esquire as a result of the marriage of a distant cousin into the Fulford family.  This fortuitous inheritance had both financial and political benefit for Tuckfield as he was appointed a Plymouth Company Director. As such he was offered the privilege of having a street associated with him in New Plymouth, in the distant colony of New Zealand. 

Unlike other directors, he chose the name of his parish to represent him. We can only guess as to why "Tuckfield" wasn't thought appropriate, but his decision has meant that he is one of the lesser known directors.

Early records associated with Fulford Parish go back to the Neolithic age.  Flints dated to 3500 BC have been discovered in the area, which also contains the site of the Battle of Fulford fought during the infamous year of 1066, where Norwegian King Harald III defeated an English army led by the northern earls Edwin and Morcar who were loyal to King Harold Godwinson.

Frederick Carrington's original plan for New Plymouth had Fulford Street in two sections, a long stretch south of Marsland Hill and a small section north of the hill.  In 1955 the smaller section was renamed Hempton Street after a request from a resident who was concerned about the confusion that the two sections created when mail was delivered.  Not only had Tuckfield's profile as a director diminished, but the street associated with him had also shrunk.

This story was originally published in the Taranaki Daily News.

Please do not reproduce these images without permission from Puke Ariki. 
Contact us for more information or you can order images online here.