The war memorial gates at the entrance to Stratford's Victoria Park, located on the corner of Fenton and Orlando Streets, were unveiled on 25 April 1926 by Major-General Sir Andrew Russell KCB KCMG. Designed to commemorate the Stratford soldiers who fell during World War One, the concrete pillars feature crossed rifles, wreathes and lighted lamps. The cost of £1200 was raised by subscription by the Memorial Committee. There is also a round decorative iron plaque in the centre of each large gate with the words France / Palestine on the left and Gallipoli / Samoa on the right.


Inscription on black marble [left pillar]:

These gates were erected by the people in grateful and loving memory of the soldiers from Stratford and surrounding districts who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War 1914-1918

Inscription on small bronze plaque below:

Unveiled by General Sir Andrew Russell CMG KGMC / Anzac Day / April 25th 1926

Inscription on black marble [right pillar]:

These laid the world away / poured out the red sweet wine of youth / gave up the years to be of work and joy / and that unhoped serene, that men call age / and those who would have been, their sons / they gave, their immortality.

[From the poem 'The Dead' by Rupert Brooke]


Related Information


Stratford War Memorial gates


Stratford District Council Heritage Inventory


Anzac Day: Stratford ceremony - memorial unveiled (Stratford Evening Post 26 April 1926)


The Dead by Rupert Brooke


Victoria Park memorial gates, Stratford district (Alexander Turnbull Library).


Please do not reproduce these images without permission from Puke Ariki. 
Contact us for more information or you can order images online here.