The Cardiff War Memorial, situated at the intersection of Cardiff, Climie and Opunake Roads near Stratford, was unveiled on 3 May 1922 to the memory of local soldiers who fell during World War One. It was later amended to include the Second World War. Designed by Stratford architect John David Healy, the memorial takes the form of a concrete obelisk with four inscribed white marble plaques or tablets and four laurel wreaths, one on each side. It was originally enclosed by concrete posts and iron railings, but these have since been removed, and is unusual in that it does not list any names. 


East face: To the Glory of God

South face: In Loving Memory of / Those Who Died

West face: Ever Grateful

North face: In Honour of All Who Served / 1914-1919 / 1939-1945

Related Information


Cardiff War Memorial


Stratford District Council Heritage Inventory


Soldiers' Memorial ceremony at Cardiff (Stratford Evening Post 4 May 1922).


Please do not reproduce these images without permission from Puke Ariki. 
Contact us for more information or you can order images online here.