The Taranaki Herald reported on 7 March 1957 that this small building in Urenui may have a claim to be the, "smallest bank building in New Zealand". For years it had been a magnet for passing motorists who would stop to take photographs of the tiny building.

The Urenui Agency of the Bank of New Zealand was opened on 8 November 1909, closed in 1917, then re-opened on 12 May 1919 - possibly in this building. It was located on the corner of Ngakoti and Nikorima Streets and measured only 12 x 20 feet (3.6m x 6m). The price of construction was £53.15/- and featured concrete piles and a wooden W.C. (BNZ Waitara:Century of Service 1876-1976, Peter T. Murphy).

In 1957 it was decided to replace the building with more modern (and larger) premises which were still in use in 1976. This building was moved to the Urenui beachfront after being donated by the BNZ for use as a beach amenities house.

Please do not reproduce these images without permission from Puke Ariki. 
Contact us for more information or you can order images online here.