This two-storey building on Broadway was built in 1928 for the firm, Messrs R. Hannah and Co. Ltd. The ground floor was used as a retail store for shoes and the upper floor was rented out as office space.

The architect was prominent local, Mr J.D. Healy, who was complimented in the Stratford Evening Post (30 November 1928) for having designed a building that "will keep apace with the times for many years to come". 

The contractors were the local company Jos.W.Boon & Son, Smart Bros. Ltd were responsible for the plumbing and electrical work, Knight & Daly did the plastering. 

The illustration of the building printed in the Stratford Evening Post (linked above) indicates that when first erected the facade was much more ornate than that which appears in the 2018 photograph. 

The national shoe-store chain Hannah's first opened a shop in Stratford in 1891 and continued in business until the early 2000s.

The building was demolished in 2019 to make way for Stratford's new multi-million dollar CBD development.

Please do not reproduce these images without permission from Puke Ariki. 
Contact us for more information or you can order images online here.