This two-storey wooden commercial building was constructed in 1889 for Charles Edwin Gledhill. The part of section 890 on which the building is located was purchased by Gledhill in May 1889 from a Mr A. Bayly. Soon after purchasing the section an advertisement was placed in the Taranaki Herald of 29 June 1889 by local architect W. F. Brooking asking for tenders for the construction of a shop in Devon Street for Mr C. E. Gledhill. Another surviving CBD building designed by Brooking is the former office of R. C. Hughes on Brougham Street (1896).
Whilst the building was complete by late October 1889, it wasn't until July 1890 that Gledhill placed an advertisement in the Taranaki Herald stating that he will "commence business in his new premises (opposite The Herald Office) on Saturday July 5, 1890, as a Wholesale and Retail General Dealer". Prior to Gledhill occupying the building, Messrs Dingle and Cork, who had their premises next door, rented the building for a short period, using the extra space to display furniture and other goods during the Christmas period.
Related items:
Town Section 890, Taranaki Land Deed Index I13 Page 154 and I13 Page 161. (Archives New Zealand)
Taranaki DP4959 Sheet 1 (1928), ICS Pre 300,000 Cadastral Plan Index (Imaged by LINZ)
Please do not reproduce these images without permission from Puke Ariki.
Contact us for more information or you can order images online here.