Arnolds Cottage No 1 129 Lemon Street Arnold's Cottage no.1, 129 Lemon Street. Hamish Crimp (2019).

Along with neighbouring 131 Lemon Street, this bay cottage was likely erected during 1876 or 1877 by Alfred Hughes Arnold. 

The original recipient of the Crown Grant for Town Section 1589 was James Marsh, although it was not officially authorised until 1884, long after Marsh had disposed of his interest in the property to J.L. Stanners in 1875. 

Stanners sold the property to Alfred Hughes Arnold in July 1876 and the cottages are clearly indicated on a map of New Plymouth drawn of New Plymouth drawn by Thomas Kingwell Skinner that year. Arnold is listed as living in Lemon Street in the 1878-79 edition of Wises Street Directory, hence the estimated date of construction of 1876 or 1877. 

Arnold subdivided the property in 1879, selling the eastern section to Walter Henry Atkinson, and retaining ownership of the western portion. In 1883, Arnold sold this section to Henry Govett, who rented out the house until 1899, when it was purchased by William Jenkins.  

Arnold later became a partner in the once prominent New Plymouth ironmongery and hardware firm Okey, Arnold & Earp.  

Related items:

Arnold's Cottage No.1, 129 Lemon Street New Plymouth, Draft Heritage Assessment (Hamish Crimp, 2019)

Town Section 1589, Taranaki Land Deed Index I5 Page 202. (Archives New Zealand)

Please do not reproduce these images without permission from Puke Ariki. 
Contact us for more information or you can order images online here.