This two-storey building, located at 58 South Road, Manaia, was built in 1924-25 for the Bank of Australasia. The contractor was Mr G.H. Mason from Taumaranui and it was designed by the Wellington firm, Atkins and Mitchell (Hawera & Normanby Star, 18 January 1924).

The Hawera Star described the building in some detail on 17 July 1924. As well as the usual banking amenities, accommodation was provided for a staff of seven. Construction was set to begin "in about three weeks' time" - at this stage it's not known when the bank officially opened for business.  

The Manaia Heritage Inventory records that in May 1932 the branch was downgraded to an agency managed from Hāwera. In 1951 the Bank of Australasia became the ANZ Bank and in June 1993, ANZ finally closed the office in Manaia. 

Related Information


Bank of Australasia: New Premises at Manaia (Hawera Star 17 July 1924)


Please do not reproduce these images without permission from Puke Ariki. 
Contact us for more information or you can order images online here.