The Hawera & Normanby Star announced on 3 December 1915 that the old Central Hotel (corner High and Bridge Streets) had been demolished and had been replaced by a "fine building in concrete". 

The architect was Mr J.A. Duffill and the contractor was Mr J.W.Tong with the contract price expected to exceed £3,000. 

The licensee, Mr G.W.Tayler (see web link), was congratulated for his enterprise in providing such an up-to-date establishment. It was described as having, "26 bedrooms, three sitting rooms and two bathrooms and every modern convenience". 

An earlier hotel on this site was known as the Branch Hotel - a licence granted to John Inston in 1885. Additions were made in 1907 and at the same time the name changed to the Central Hotel.

In 1965-66 Taranaki Breweries Ltd. took over the hotel and were granted a Tavern Licence.

Puke Ariki holds plans (ARC2003-1137) by Duffill, drawn for 'R.Campbell', dated about 1918, for alterations to the Central Hotel. 

Related Information


Tayler Street


Alterations to Central Hotel Eltham (plans)


Hotel Improvements (Hawera & Normanby Star, 3 December 1915)


Please do not reproduce these images without permission from Puke Ariki. 
Contact us for more information or you can order images online here.