Bank of Australasia Eltham.jpg Bank of Australasia, Eltham, Mike Gooch (2018)

Located on the main street of Eltham this single-storey building was originally built for the Bank of Australasia. 

The Bank of Australasia first opened in May 1905, in temporary premises in High Street. Mr Henry Frank Hayden, the manager, was born in India and joined the Bank of Australasia in Melbourne in 1888.

In 1910 the Bank of Australasia applied for permission to carry out alterations to the present bank buildings in High Street. Councillor Amoore, as building inspector, reported that the proposal was to move the present wooden building towards the back of the section and convert it into a dwelling house, a new banking chambers in brick and concrete to be erected in front, facing High Street. The application was granted subject to the Borough by-laws being complied with (Eltham Argus, 26 November 1910, Eltham Borough Council Meeting).

Tenders for "additions & alterations" (Hawera & Normanby Star, 6 December 1910) were called for by Wellington architects Atkins & Bacon, so it is presumed they were responsible for the new building.  

In 2012 the local community raised concerns about the future of the building when it was revealed that it needed earthquake strengthening. At the time the police were using the building and it was thought this may require them to find new premises (TDN 16 July 2012).


Please do not reproduce these images without permission from Puke Ariki. 
Contact us for more information or you can order images online here.